Work with Us – Program OfficerPublished on August 14th, 2023 by Yandani Mlilo
Organization: Feminist Voices Zimbabwe
Position : Program Officer
Reporting to: Creative Director
Status: Full Time (4 days per week)
Deadline : 15 September 2023
About Feminist Voices Zimbabwe:
Feminist Voices Zimbabwe is a non-profit organization co-creating feminist and queer realities through safe spaces, storytelling and community care. We are motivated by queer joy, vibrant communities and mutual support that brings women, gender non conforming and queer folk together to create a strengthened movement. We recognize the role of digital media in the world and the value of harnessing creativity to create new imaginaries of a world free from patriarchal oppression.
Feminist Voices Zimbabwe is seeking a passionate and dedicated Program Officer to contribute to our mission of co-creating feminist realities through community, conversation, and knowledge-building. The Program Officer will play a crucial role in organizing and implementing various programs and initiatives aimed at strengthening advocacy, storytelling, and promoting gender justice in Zimbabwe. The ideal candidate should have a strong understanding of feminist principles and a commitment to amplifying the voices of marginalized individuals.
Program Development and Implementation:
- Collaborate with the team to develop and implement programs that align with the organization’s mission and vision.
- Coordinate and oversee the execution of projects, ensuring they are delivered on time, within budget, and meet program objectives.
- Conduct research and analysis to inform program strategies and identify areas for intervention.
- Develop ideas and draft them into implementable programs
Community Engagement and Safe Spaces:
- Facilitate the creation of safe spaces for women and queer individuals to embrace their authentic selves and find joy and belonging.
- Organize community-building activities, events, and workshops that promote inclusivity, empowerment, and resilience.
- Work closely with community members to understand their needs and provide support and resources accordingly.
Storytelling and Advocacy:
- Harness the power of storytelling to amplify the voices of women and queer communities, challenge prejudices, and promote social change.
- Coordinate storytelling initiatives, such as the ZimGirl Narratives Project and the 100 Stories of Us project, ensuring effective implementation and publication of diverse stories.
- Collaborate with journalists, writers, and artists to facilitate storytelling workshops and training sessions.
- Creation and curation of digital content across platforms including podcast support and execution of creative and educational campaigns.
Advocacy and Access to Justice:
- Contribute to the organization’s advocacy efforts by researching and analyzing legal frameworks and policies related to gender disparity in Zimbabwe.
- Support the creation of digital content, articles, and campaigns to raise awareness and promote gender justice.
- Empower women with knowledge about their rights, legal processes, and avenues for social action.
Partnerships and Collaboration:
- Develop and maintain partnerships with relevant stakeholders, including NGOs, government agencies, and media organizations.
- Collaborate with external partners to leverage resources, expand program reach, and enhance the organization’s visibility and impact.
- Represent Feminist Voices Zimbabwe at meetings, conferences, and public events.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as Gender Studies, Social Sciences, or International Development is a plus but not a compulsory requirement. Feminist Voices is looking for a candidate who is committed to the freedom of women and LGBTQIA persons so relevant work experience is sufficient.
- Strong understanding of feminist principles, gender issues, and social justice.
- Experience working in program development, implementation, and project management.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Familiarity with digital media platforms and storytelling techniques.
- Knowledge of legal frameworks and policies related to gender equality and access to justice.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of local languages is an advantage.
To apply for this position, please follow the link. You can also manually find this application on the FVZ website. If you have additional questions or issues please email email@example.com
Note: This role is only for women, gender non conforming and non binary folk. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds, including women and members of the LGBTQIA+ community, to apply.